Many people suffer from knee joint pain and stiffness. The pain and stiffness in the knee joint may be as a result of severe arthritis condition in old age, prolonged abnormal posture, or repetitive motion. Not everybody would require surgery for treating knee pain. Many people find relief with conservative treatments. But in some people the knee joint may be worn-out to a great extent and the pain and stiffness may be so severe that the conservative treatments may not give much relief. In such cases, a bone and joint specialist may recommend a total or partial knee joint replacement surgery. A knee joint replacement surgery is one of the most commonly performed orthopedic procedures. It is also known as knee arthroplasty. In a Knee joint replacement surgery the weight-bearing surface of the knee joint is replaced with a metal and plastic implant or prosthesis in order to consequently relieve the patient from pain and disability.
A knee replacement surgery is one of the most common orthopedic procedures that is performed at many joint replacement and orthopedic hospitals worldwide. Many people who are in need of knee replacement surgery and they just keep postponing it due to one or more reasons. Some of the most common ones of such reasons are high cost of surgery, long waiting period, lack of technology and expertise in their home country. These problems which are faced by patients make them to go in search for high quality and affordable knee replacement surgery in other countries. Our network knee surgery hospitals in India offer a perfect solution for all these problems with their world-class infrastructure, experienced knee replacement specialists, excellent nursing care and affordable treatment packages. India has become one of the leading medical tourism destinations for high quality and affordable knee replacement surgery with no waiting time.
What happens during the knee replacement surgery?
At first it would be a detailed consultation with a bone and joint specialist who will review your medical history. The specialist may ask for certain imaging tests like the X-Ray if required. If at all the specialist feels that you are a candidate for a knee replacement surgery then he/she may recommend certain medical (blood, urine, etc) investigations in order to assess your fitness for the surgery. If you are found fit for the surgery then you might be admitted in the hospital one day prior to the surgery.
In a knee joint replacement surgery you might be administered general anesthesia or you may be given spinal or epidural anesthesia. In a total knee replacement is a surgery as mentioned earlier, an affected knee joint is replaced with artificial implant or prosthesis that is made up of metal and plastic. During the surgery the end of femur or the thigh bone is removed and replaced with a metal shell. The end of the leg bone is also removed and replaced with a channeled plastic piece with a metal stem.
After the surgery, the hospital stay ranges from 3 to 5 days depending upon your health condition. You may be required to use walker or crutches for few days during the recovery period. You are also put on physiotherapy to resume movement. Complete recovery from the operation may take two to three months.
What are the risks and benefits of a knee replacement surgery ?
Like any other major surgery, a knee replacement surgery entails a few risks and complications. Even though the complication rate following total knee replacement has gone down to a great extent over years, some patients may face certain complications, such as a knee joint infection, blood Clots or thrombosis or DVT in the leg veins and joint dislocation. For all these things, your doctor will discuss with you about the prevention medication and aides that would be required.
A Knee replacement surgery offers some great benefits like relief from joint pain, better mobility, rectification of deformity, improved leg strength, better quality of life and the capability to return to normal activities.
What are the different types of knee joint replacement surgeries offered at our network knee surgery hospitals in India ?
- Total Knee Replacement : Also referred to as Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA), a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) is a surgical procedure in which the worn, diseased, or damaged surfaces of a knee joint are removed and replaced with an implant or prosthesis.
- Partial Knee Replacement : A partial knee replacement surgery is also called as Unicompartmental or Unicondylar Knee replacement surgery. Not every patient who is suffering with knee pain need a total knee replacement surgery. In some patients there are instances where only a small part of knee joint is damaged. In such cases a partial knee replacement becomes more suitable which can be done using minimally invasive technique rather than a total knee replacement surgery.
- Simultaneous Bilateral Knee Replacement : In a simultaneous Bilateral Knee Replacement procedure, knee joints of both the legs are replaced in the same surgery. This type of surgery has benefits such as single anesthesia, shorter hospital stay and rehabilitation. Your doctor will decide whether you are fit for this surgery or not.
- Revision Knee Replacement : After the first surgery, a Total Knee Replacement surgery may have to be redone or revised after 15-20 years as the implants may get worn-out in some cases. The surgeons at our network orthopedic hospitals in India use the most advanced prosthesis and Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) for Revision Knee Replacements.
What are the other knee surgeries that are routinely done at our network knee surgery hospitals in India ?
- Meniscus Repair
- Lateral Release
- Plica Excision
- Meniscus Transplantation
- ACL Reconstruction
- Patellar/Quadriceps Tendon Repair
There are many reasons for so many people around the world to choose our network orthopedic hospitals in India for knee replacement surgery. Out of all such reasons the following are the most common reasons that make our network orthopedic hospitals in India the ultimate destination for knee surgery.
- World-class hospitals: With its world-class infrastructure, spacious deluxe private rooms, clean and patient friendly environment, our network hospitals are truly comparable with some of the best hospitals in the world. This is evident from the fact that many of our network hospitals are ISO certified and accredited by JCI (Joint Commission International) , NABH, ACHSI etc. You can be rest assured that your care, safety and privacy would be given atmost importance.
- Advanced Technology: Our network hospitals focus on minimally Invasive and nerve preserving techniques while performing knee surgeries. These techniques help the patient to have faster recovery, less pain, less blood loss and better surgery outcomes. Computer assisted technology, gender specific implants and High Flex Rotating knee Platform are commonly used for better surgery outcomes.
- The Cost Advantage: You can get a knee replacement surgery in India at a fraction of the cost that you might have to pay in countries like US, Canada or UK. You get this cost advantage without compromising on quality of medical care or the implant/prosthesis used. Take for instance, a knee replacement surgery in US would make you poorer by 30000-53000 US Dollars, while the same surgery in India can be done at just 6000-7000 US Dollars at a world-class hospital with personalised care.
- Expert Knee Replacement Specialists: Our network hospitals have Top Class Doctors with a vast experience of working with some of the best hospitals across the world. Some of them have an experience of performing more than 10000 joint replacement surgeries. They are trained at some of the finest institutions in the world.
- No waiting Period: We assure zero waiting time at our network hospitals. We book all the necessary appointments, your private room and make all the arrangements before your arrival in India. We just want to make sure that you feel at home while you are in India. Our guest relations officers would ensure that you need not wait for appointments or stand in queue for completing the hospital formalities.
- Personalized Service: From the time you get in touch with us with your first medical query, our team would start working on creating a wonderful and smooth medical travel experience for you. All your queries would be answered by well-trained and English-speaking executives. On the day of your arrival in India we would arrange for airport pick-up. We will assist you in VISA, air tickets, internal transfers, currency exchange, tourism etc.
- Get free expert medical opinions from top knee replacement surgeons in India
- Get free cost estimates from best hospitals for knee replacement surgery in India
- Get treated at most advanced and internationally accredited hospitals for knee replacement surgery in India
- All major and minor orthopedic treatments are offered at our network orthopedic hospitals in India
- Free guidance and support round the Clock. Call or WhatsApp +91 9900 244 323
- From airport transfers to hotel bookings, we offer complete ground assistance services in India
How to Get Started ?
If you want to travel to India for knee replacement surgery then please send the following details to us by email at email@example.com
- Name and age of the Patient
- Latest X-ray images
- Latest medical reports
- Details of current medical condition ( in brief )
For more information on traveling to India for knee replacement surgery, you can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/Whatsapp at +91 9900 244 323 anytime. To get started, click here https://www.treatmentassistance.in/get-started/